Some common misconceptions about digital marketing is that it is complicated, a fad, or only for large businesses. In reality, digital marketing can be an easy and effective solution to drive traffic to small businesses. Most small businesses have done some form of marketing already, whether it be an ad in the newspaper, or ‘word of mouth’ strategies. Digital Marketing is not a new branch of marketing, it is just a new platform to communicate your existing marketing strategies.
- #1 Social Media
9 in 10 Australians have a social media account, with the average Australian owning over 3 internet-capable devices. The most popular platforms for Australians include Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Snapchat and LinkedIn. With most people willing to engage with businesses over social media, here are some ways that you can drive in new customers via social media:
Discounts and Giveaways
- Discounts and giveaways are some of the top reasons as to why people follow businesses online
- By giving regular incentives through social media, you can gather a more loyal and engaged following
Building a brand image
- With social media platforms, the first impressions of a business are no longer at the store; but on their social media profiles
- Only display on your social media how you want your customers to perceive your brand
- For example: A mechanical business may want to post their prestige car clients on their social media, to present to potential clients that their work is premium
Connect with your audience
- Social media can be used as a customer service avenue, to resolve complaints and to answer queries
- Engaging with your followers can help to create a more engaged and loyal customer base
- With the age of social media, there are lot of ‘social media celebrities’ or ‘influencers’
- These are people or organizations with a large social media following
- By collaborating with influencers, they can help your product or service reach a wider audience
Social Media Advertising
- Facebook and LinkedIn offer paid advertising so your business can reach a wider audience on these platforms
- These are costly but effective as ads will generally only show up for interested users.
- #2 Website Strategy
Websites is not just an online business card. It provides internet users with a comprehensive run down about the history of your business, your services, and how to contact you. Websites can be augmented with eCommerce functionality, which means your product can be sold direct to consumer without ever having physical interaction. This can cut down costs for a small business, as it greatly speeds up the payment process.
With SEO (Search Engine Optimization) or SEM (Search Engine Marketing) your website can also be used as an avenue for new customers to find you.
- Having good content means your website will be viewed favourably by search engine formulas, giving you a higher ranking
- If your customers like what they see, there is a higher chance they will buy your product or your service
- There is no point trying to game the system by duplicating pages and keywords. The key to good content is making informative, relevant and unique content.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- The majority of internet users will use Google to search for products and services they need
- The majority of internet users will also click on the first couple of search results that come up
- Having a higher search engine ranking will mean your product or service will be exposed to a large audience who need your business
Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- SEM has the same goal as SEO, but the process is different
- Instead of working on-site and off-site to promote your website perception by the search engine, SEM works by paying the search engine for clicks on an ad that directs to your website
#3 Physical Strategy
Although digital marketing is primarily done through online platforms, there are some strategies that you can perform physically that will greatly enhance your online presence.
Push your social media and websites in person
- Don’t assume that your clientele knows about your online profiles
- Pushing reviews, and social media follows is a good way to keep your physical customers updated about your business
Serve a good product or service
- Improving the quality of your physical product and service can help gather strong reviews. Reviews is often what people first look at on your online profile.
Blend your physical strategy with your online strategy
- If you are doing television, print or any other physical forms of advertising, let your social media followers know
- It can be a good way to get them to share your ad with their friends and family
Are you looking for improve your digital marketing strategy?
If you’re looking to enhance your digital marketing strategy look no further than WebMarketingGuru. We are a boutique online marketing agency serving clients Australia-wide. Call us on 1300 336 290 or visit our headquarters at 1/36 Park Street, South Melbourne.